Why Is The Pinch Analysis One Of The Most Important Methods For Energy Efficiency Improvement? Pinch Method As The Powerful Technique for Energy Efficiency Improvement, Process Integration and Optimization
First of all, why is the pinch method so effective?
That was my thinking until the project that came along needed employment of exact this technique. Of course, what happened was A-HA moment after I looked into the composite curves and I finally figured out what it was all about. When you take a look into the composite curves, pinch point etc. you also see the process from a different perspective. I started seeing the energy efficiency problems from another point of view.
The pinch method is very practical and a simple technique! However, applying it with success needs practice and knowledge. Ones you are able to use the methodology, it gives you wider and more insightful point of view to energy efficiency in general.
Why should these methods show a step change over the many years of careful design and learning by generations of highly competent engineers?
Isn’t the pinch analysis only applicable to oil refineries and large bulk chemical and petrochemical plants and maybe not to my process?
- Crude Distillation Unit - that is an example of a large refinery unit, but deserves the fist position because that's the unit where pinch analysis was first applied decades ago. Pinch method is hugely applicable for Crude Distillation Units and can bring significant improvements and savings.
- Breweries - There are studies showing how more than 20% of energy can be saved with application of pinch methods on a typical brewery. There are a lot of beer producers, right?
- Whiskey distilleries - The majority of whiskey production is grain whiskey produced in the large-scale continuous processes. These distilleries have an excellent record of waste minimization in general. However, thanks to the application of pinch analysis, several of the largest distilleries have also optimized their energy systems and achieved considerable overall savings.
- cement production,
- sugar production,
- organic chemicals production,
- petrochemical units,
- refinery units etc.
Pinch method is only about heat exchanger networks, isn’t it?
for process development and design, often known as process synthesis, and the
optimization of existing plants.
I need to use a special and expensive tool to practice pinch analysis?
Should I learn about energy efficiency improvement with pinch method?
It is an investment in yourself. Energy efficiency improvement is one of the most important topics of every industrial process today. If you work in the industry, having the pinch analysis knowledge can help you contribute to your own team to find improvements in energy efficiency.
- How to identify and approach opportunities for process heat recovery,
- How to execute heat recovery assessment and develop optimized solution,
- Steps in development of pinch method applicable across industries,
- How to develop a study to present the business case,
- How to use your knowledge to develop you own consulting business.
To find out more information and apply for the course, follow this link.